Kipp is a locality, located approximately 29 kilometres northwest of Lethbridge between Highway 3 and a Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) line. Kipp originally began as a trading post called Fort Kipp. Although not at the same location as the fort, Kipp takes its name from Fort Kipp. The original Macleod Trail which came to be known as the Red Trail, and later as Highway 3 went through Kipp. It was first graded in 1918 and graveled in 1928.
Once the road came to the community, population dwindled and today it has only a spattering of residents, but still has one of the largest rail yards in Southern Alberta.