Main content of the website

  • font sizeA
  • A
  • A

Garbage Bins/Curbside Pickup

Lethbridge County has an automated solid waste collection system which includes waste collection carts in the following areas: the hamlets of Fairview, Monarch, Diamond City and Shaughnessy, as well as the subdivisions of Mountain Meadows and Deer Run Estates.

Please view the menu below for more information on garbage bins and waste collection.

Call 403-732-5333
Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • Why does the County use waste collection carts?

The County’s service provider, The Town of Coalhurst, uses the automated collection system.

  • Is anyone exempt from using carts?

No, all citizens who currently have garbage collection service within these communities must use the issued collection carts. 

  • What if my cart goes missing or gets stolen?

Please contact the County’s Picture Butte office at (403) 732-5333 to replace your cart.  If loss or damage to your cart is the result of neglect, you will be responsible for the $100 replacement cost of the cart.

  • What if I have other cart problems (ie. broken wheel, damaged lid) or it is in need of a repair?

Call the Picture Butte office at (403) 732-5333 to report any issues with the cart.  

  • Where do I place my cart for pick up?

Place your cart on the street, with wheels against the curb. If there is no curb, place the cart just off the street, or on the shoulder of the road.  The cart must be returned to your property after the garbage is picked up.  Please do not obstruct the driving lanes of the roadway and leave at least 1 metre (3 feet) of clearance between carts and any obstacles such as parked cars, poles, mailboxes, etc. The arrows on the cart lid must point to the centre of the street. 

 In the winter, please do not place bins behind or on top of snow banks and ensure they are clearly visible and accessible.

  • What time do I need to have my cart out by?

Place your cart at your pick-up location by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.

  • What if I am not physically able to pull my bin off the back lane when it is not my collection day? 

For citizens who are physically unable to place their carts on the street on collection day, the service provider may accommodate them by placing their carts on the street and returning once emptied.  Citizens are required to request this additional no-cost service from the Town of Coalhurst at (403) 381-3033

  • Can I line my cart with a plastic bag?

As you collect your garbage please place the garbage in bags before placing in the carts.  Loose garbage may blow away as the cart is being dumped into the truck, so it must be bagged to prevent this from occurring.

  • How much garbage can I put out?

All your waste must fit in the cart and the lid must close. No additional waste will be collected.  Garbage placed beside the cart will not be collected. 

  • How do I get rid of large, bulky items?

Find your nearest Waste Transfer Station for large item drop off.  This information is available by clicking on the following link: Lethbridge County Transfer Stations

  • How do I get rid of paint, oil, chemicals, batteries or propane?

Paints, pesticides, propane tanks, batteries, syringes, used motor oil, fluorescent tubes/compact bulbs and many cleaning products are just some examples of household hazardous waste.  These items contain toxic ingredients and should be used and disposed of with caution.  Do not place them out for regular garbage pick-up.  Do not pour motor oil, paints or solvents down your drain or into sewers.  Take these items to your nearest Waste Transfer Station for safe disposal. 

  • My garbage was not picked up, who do I contact?

Contact the Town of Coalhurst at (403) 381-3033.

  • When is my garbage collection day?

All garbage is picked up on Thursdays.

  • What happens if my collection day falls on a statutory holiday?

If the scheduled pick up day is a holiday, collection will usually occur the previous business day.  If this is not the case, the County will notify you in advance.

  • What happens if it snows and the collection truck can't get down my road?

Severe winter weather, such as snowy and icy conditions or roads blocked by downed trees or power lines may cause a delay in pick up and the service provider to temporarily postpone garbage collection.  Affected citizens can contact the County's Picture Butte office at (403) 732-5333 for more information.

  • I have a rental property that is vacant, why do I have to pay for garbage and recycling collection?

It is impossible for our billing system to track of the occupancy of rental properties.  If the dwelling is habitable (it has electricity, running water, plumbing and heat) the owner will be billed for collection services.

  • Why did I receive a bill belonging to the previous owner of the house I've bought?

At the time of billing, utility bills are sent to the owner of the property on record. However, there are times where there is still the final bill to be invoiced.  If you have any questions when this occurs, please contact the Utilities Clerk at (403) 328-5525.

  • I sold a house last year, what should I do with this bill?

Please contact Lethbridge County at (403) 328-5525 so that we can research ownership, update our records and re-direct the bill.

  • I have a rental property, who is responsible for the cart?

The property owner is responsible for the cart; damage to the cart by the tenant will be the responsibility of the owner.  It is between the owner and the tenant as to how costs are passed along. The property owner is ultimately responsible for all utility bills.